Thursday, September 25, 2008

September 25, 2008

I started this blog for two reasons: 1. I love watching hockey 2. I love to write. It only seems natural to combine the two. In a way, this little endeavor reminds me of George Costanza's attempt at combining his two great passions, food and sex. Like the Seinfeld character's attempt, it could be tricky, and I might end up making a fool of myself. I am very much, as the title suggests, wingin' it. But there are just too many times during the course of the 82-game season when I find myself asking the same questions night in and night out:

  • How many times can Andreas Lilja turn the puck over in the defensive zone?
  • Why isn't Aaron Downey on the ice against an opponent known for its physical game?
  • How can Tomas Holmstrom be called for goalie interference when he's a country mile away from the crease?
  • Is Nick Kronwall the best open-ice hitter EVER?
  • Are referees and linesmen offered vision plans with their health benefits, and if so, will they ever use them???

The ability to ponder these thoughts on the screen might not help me reach any solid conclusions, but it's better than arguing about hockey-related subjects on YouTube.

Speaking of YouTube (which I will from this point on refer to as You'Tude to reflect the attitudes regularly encountered there), has anyone noticed how most of the comments on NHL footage are either "Crosby's the Best!" (posted by Pens fans who are either unaware of or ignore the fact that Sid the Kid dives more than a submarine) or "Red Wings Suck!" (usually posted by Avs fans who hold onto the old Wings/Avs rivalry because it was the last time their team had a pulse)? And even when a debate starts off intelligently, it often tends to deteriorate into a verbal war of tasteless insults and off-topic remarks until it no longer even resembles a discussion about sports. After about three of these "discussions" I gave it up.

On to the state of the league...

Since I live in Michigan, home of the Stanley Cup Champions, doesn't logic dictate that the area would be absolutely crazy with the regular season right around the corner? Well, guess again. I've seen no flags flying from car windows, no jerseys, and barely a mention of the upcoming Stanley Cup defense in the local papers. And it doesn't surprise me. Even though every other professional team in the region STINKS, it just doesn't surprise me. Why? Because hockey, in general, barely registers as a blip on the pro sports screen. For instance, I went to Target the other day to see if I could find a Red Wings shirt for my son. There were racks upon racks of Lions, Tigers, and Pistons apparel, but no Red Wings. And it was the same story in the sports card section. There were football cards, baseball cards, and basketball cards, at least five different brands of each. There were HANNAH MONTANA cards, for crying out loud! But again, no hockey. And that's sad. It's sad because hockey is the fastest, most intense, most exciting sport out there HANDS DOWN, and it doesn't even register. And this is Michigan I'm talking about, home of the most talented hockey club in the world last year, and a favorite to repeat as champion. If this is how we celebrate and appreciate one of pro sports' finest products, we better really enjoy this upcoming season. We better enjoy and remember every hit, every goal, every fight as if it was the last we'll ever see. Because as far as mainstream America is concerned, there are three sports worth recognizing, and hockey isn't one of them.

No comments: